Translate

Search This Blog

Friday, June 26, 2009

What To Wear When You Work From Home


What To Wear When You Work From Home

Diana Pemberton-Sikes | FashionForRealWomen.com

December 26, 2008

But the instant you come into contact with others, you influence their opinion of you. Even if you’re just dropping off or picking up something or you conduct all of your business at your front door, how you’re dressed can influence your bottom line. If you want your business to grow and prosper, you’ll dress to meet your customer’s expectations. If you want your business to remain small and expand at a snail’s pace, you can dress to please yourself.

Here are some basic guidelines:

● If you’re a professional, such as a lawyer, doctor, accountant, business consultant, financial planner, etc., you need to dress the same as your commuting counterparts dress in your community. Why? Because people expect professionals to dress professionally, whether they engage them at the local office park or at the big yellow house that faces the park.

You and I both know that your skills don’t improve by simply putting on a suit jacket. But try to negotiate a big money deal wearing a t-shirt and jeans with your client in the room, and see how far you get. If the deal falls through, you’ll be blamed for your lack of professionalism. Why set yourself up like that? Dress like others in your profession dress-at least when you’re meeting with clients—and save yourself the headache.

● If you’re in a service-oriented business, like hairdressing, catering, tailoring, personal shopping, etc., dress in business casual. This includes long pants and collared shirt, if you’re a man, and a skirt, slacks, or dress, if you’re a woman. Business casual denotes the seriousness of the work environment yet offers you something comfortable to wear.

● If you’re in a labor-intensive business, like housekeeping, auto repair, yard maintenance, or handy man, consider wearing an easy-to-clean uniform. You can buy them at the local uniform supply company in your town, or you can create your own by simply pairing work pants (jeans, khakis) or shorts with a polo shirt or t-shirt. You could even add a logo to the shirt, if you like, and insist that everyone in your employ wear them. It’s an inexpensive way to add instant credibility.

So, do you still doubt the importance of dressing appropriately when you work from home? Stop for a moment and think of all the home-based businesses you’ve dealt with over the years. Who got your business more than once? Who sent you running in the other direction? Why?

The biggest offenders on my list have two things in common: a filthy workspace, and a complete disregard for personal appearance. Is my criticism based solely on the fact that I’m an image consultant? No. It’s because as a home-based entrepreneur myself, I’ve always taken the time and effort to make my office and myself presentable before conducting business. At the very least, I expect others to do the same for me.

So what should you wear when you work from home? Clothes that instantly convey your professionalism and establish your credibility. Your client is already leery of doing business with you—don’t give her another reason to go elsewhere. Dress appropriately!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

My photo
Wilkesboro, NC, United States
My interest with writing began by composing poems about nature in my childhood. I also co-wrote a play in my 4th grade class when I lived in New Rochelle, NY. It generated enough positive feedback that my class put on the play in the school auditorium. I was fortunate to have a lead part. After my high school graduation, I entered the working world. For over 30 years I have been steadily gaining writing, editing and digital publishing skills. I began by composing letters and emails to company clients. I contributed to articles written for The Commuters Register based in Windsor, CT. Since 2009, I have added social media, digital publishing and blogging here in Wilkesboro, NC. Since 2010, I write ad copy for the listing descriptions for each of my 3 Internet shops open at Etsy.com. In 2012, I entered a poem about my dog Red in the World Poetry Contest. The poem was chosen for publication. I have written articles for the Winston-Salem Frugal Living Examiner and Hub Pages. In 2012, I acquired The Wilkes Gazette digital newspaper that was renamed the Wilkes County Gazette in 2014. I write under both my own name and my pen name, Jeanne Armonk.
Pet Adoption