Translate

Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Setting Up Shop

Okay, so now you have your business license and/or permits. You are ready to set up shop. What items are on your shopping list? Once you decide upon renting a space , or working out of your home, what office equipment is needed?

Depending up the nature of your business, the inventory may vary. Most every office will need a phone, computer and/or typewriter, paper, envelopes, stamps, pens, pencils, tape, paper clips and a stapler. This would also include furniture such as tables, desks, chairs, lighting, etc.

Where to obtain these items is the next question? Some items you may already have on hand. There are many office supply stores who sell in store, via catalog or online. Many offer discounts to new customers. Also, discounts are often offered depending upon the total purchase amount. Some offer discounts to customers who may sign up for a store credit card (if applicable.)

Some items may be obtained by shopping at local thrift stores and yard/tag sales. I myself obtained my fax machine and my Smith Corona word processor from these venues. I also obtained a nice desk at a very reasonable price at a local auction site.

It is good to make a list of items needed to complete services and products offered. For my business, writing paper of all grades and sizes is a must. Also, assorted envelopes for mailing purposes.

Keep receipts, especially for items under warranty. These will be useful at tax time when calculating your business expenditures. Also, for any items which may prove defective in some way. It will facilitate refunds and exchanges.

You will need to contact utilities if renting a space and these are not included with the rent. You will need to inquire about any necessary insurance not covered by the landlord. When I attended courses offered through the local Small Business Center, it was repeatedly stated that the number one reason new businesses go out of business is lack of operating capital. So, in setting up shop, the costs need to be estimated in advance. It would be sad if a new business opened and needed to be closed down due to lack of finances. So, prepare and calculate the needs and costs to set up shop and remain open for business.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

My photo
Wilkesboro, NC, United States
My interest with writing began by composing poems about nature in my childhood. I also co-wrote a play in my 4th grade class when I lived in New Rochelle, NY. It generated enough positive feedback that my class put on the play in the school auditorium. I was fortunate to have a lead part. After my high school graduation, I entered the working world. For over 30 years I have been steadily gaining writing, editing and digital publishing skills. I began by composing letters and emails to company clients. I contributed to articles written for The Commuters Register based in Windsor, CT. Since 2009, I have added social media, digital publishing and blogging here in Wilkesboro, NC. Since 2010, I write ad copy for the listing descriptions for each of my 3 Internet shops open at Etsy.com. In 2012, I entered a poem about my dog Red in the World Poetry Contest. The poem was chosen for publication. I have written articles for the Winston-Salem Frugal Living Examiner and Hub Pages. In 2012, I acquired The Wilkes Gazette digital newspaper that was renamed the Wilkes County Gazette in 2014. I write under both my own name and my pen name, Jeanne Armonk.
Pet Adoption