Translate

Search This Blog

Monday, September 20, 2010

A Double Surgery

It was a very long week for Red and for me. Each day I half-expected to stop by the pound to see Red and find that his owner had claimed him. However, that was never the case. At the week's end, Red was going to be mine.

Linda Etienne, the animal control officer, offered to drop him at my veterinary hospital for the agreed upon neutering and vaccinations that Red was to receive upon adoption. That seemed a small price ($50) to pay to adopt him. The alternative was unthinkable. Unthinkable to me who was growing more fond of Red with each passing day.

I obtained my receipt for my 4th dog adopted from a shelter. At least, I was being consistent. I firmly believed and believe in spaying and neutering dogs (and cats.) There are far too many animals who, like Red, may not be wanted after they lose their cute puppy and kitten faces and bodies. I have been proud to speak about and to defend the position of neutering Red. Too many animals, unadopted and/or abandoned and/or abused have been put to sleep. Too many animals have starved to death or have thirsted to death due to no one caring for them. Too many animals have been victimized with no one to come to their rescue or to speak for them. At least now, a big mixed breed stray such as Red would be adopted. He would have a home and have someone to care for him. Plus, he would have three no-nonsense brothers. This seemed to fit Red's personality to a tee.

Linda took Red for his veterinary requirements. I was to pick him up the next afternoon. I called the veterinarian in the morning. Red was fine. However, the dog had dew claws on his hind legs. I had not noticed them. The vet was told by Linda to remove them. Apparently, this surgery is done by responsible breeders when dogs are very young. Red, of course, still had his dew claws. These appendages are likened to extra thumbs. The danger is that these dew claws can catch on things, tear, and cause an animal to bleed to death. The cost was an additional $80. Now, my big red dog had cost $130.

I went that afternoon to pick him up. He was alert. He had big ace bandages around his hind legs where the dew claws had been removed. Red seemed to be in good spirits. Now, this was the first time to put him in my van and be with him alone. He settled down in the back seat.
That was the first of I do not know how many rides we would take together through the Eastern states and through the years. We had a ten minute ride now to get to our house. After passing his tests of surgery and riding with me in the van, he still had to face the test of meeting his new brothers, especially 141 lb. Tyson.

When we arrived in the driveway, I made the decision to leave Red in the van until I put the two shepherds out in the back yard. I greeted my faithful trio inside and called to them to go outside. I then brought my German Rottweiler Tyson (Ty) back inside with me. This meeting would decide Red's undecided future with me. I was praying and hoping that my Tyson would accept the younger dog. I was banking on Tyson recognizing Red as one of his own breed. More in my next post...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

My photo
Wilkesboro, NC, United States
My interest with writing began by composing poems about nature in my childhood. I also co-wrote a play in my 4th grade class when I lived in New Rochelle, NY. It generated enough positive feedback that my class put on the play in the school auditorium. I was fortunate to have a lead part. After my high school graduation, I entered the working world. For over 30 years I have been steadily gaining writing, editing and digital publishing skills. I began by composing letters and emails to company clients. I contributed to articles written for The Commuters Register based in Windsor, CT. Since 2009, I have added social media, digital publishing and blogging here in Wilkesboro, NC. Since 2010, I write ad copy for the listing descriptions for each of my 3 Internet shops open at Etsy.com. In 2012, I entered a poem about my dog Red in the World Poetry Contest. The poem was chosen for publication. I have written articles for the Winston-Salem Frugal Living Examiner and Hub Pages. In 2012, I acquired The Wilkes Gazette digital newspaper that was renamed the Wilkes County Gazette in 2014. I write under both my own name and my pen name, Jeanne Armonk.
Pet Adoption