Translate

Search This Blog

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Your Novel's Plot - Review

After a number of weeks pass by, it is good to review your novel's plot. How is it holding your interest? Will the plot hold a reader's interest? As you type your draft copy, do you, yourself, find that you can hardly wait for the next chapter, page, paragraph or line? I have been typing several posts here recently as part of a rough draft to my long awaited novel. The plot is centered around my dog Red.

I find myself reviewing my notes and my posts to find a continuity and flow, or, the lack of. I know if the plot holds my attention, and I already know the story, then the plot just might hold the attention of readers. It has been a chance for a fresh look by revisiting Red's past. My memory is kicking into high gear. In addition, other memories are coming into focus of other pets that journeyed with us for a time.

Red has enriched my life as countless other pets have enriched the lives of those who knew them. No wonder there is no shortage of pet owners in the United States, and throughout the world. There are costs to being a pet owner as previously mentioned. However, in comparison to the unconditional love and loyalty of Red, few things in my life have compared.

Yes, I am simply Mama to those I have housed and cared for and loved. The return on my investment has been exponentially great! Both on my initial and subsequent investments, I have reaped many rewards. Red, my courageous half-grown stray, has taught me the most of any of my many pets. He has given just as much as he has taught. Even this morning, he waited for me to let him go outside. Well-behaved as ever, he did his business and came right back to me. His soulful eyes, wagging tail and whining greeting such as to say, "Mama, where have you been. I have been waiting for you. I have missed you. I love you."

Thus, I am stopping my posts for a couple of months in order to review my notes and due to the opening of a new shop in the works for me at Etsy.com. Notes, and I might add references, that are essential to maintaining my novel's plot. The story may need tweaking in order to be more marketable. This expression I am fond of and learned it from the 1998 film, You've Got MailTom Hanks, the male lead in the film, uses this word in one scene where he is emailing to Meg Ryan, the female lead in the film.  So, our notes may need tweaking... 

However, despite any tweaking, the essence of my story remains the same. The dog is the same. I am the same. No, I am not the same either. This particular dog has and is changing my life each and every day. More in my next post...

1 comment:

  1. Your comment is very much appreciated. One of my hopes for my readers is that I may have something of usefulness to share with them. The same holds true for my columns in The Wilkes Gazette.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

My photo
Wilkesboro, NC, United States
My interest with writing began by composing poems about nature in my childhood. I also co-wrote a play in my 4th grade class when I lived in New Rochelle, NY. It generated enough positive feedback that my class put on the play in the school auditorium. I was fortunate to have a lead part. After my high school graduation, I entered the working world. For over 30 years I have been steadily gaining writing, editing and digital publishing skills. I began by composing letters and emails to company clients. I contributed to articles written for The Commuters Register based in Windsor, CT. Since 2009, I have added social media, digital publishing and blogging here in Wilkesboro, NC. Since 2010, I write ad copy for the listing descriptions for each of my 3 Internet shops open at Etsy.com. In 2012, I entered a poem about my dog Red in the World Poetry Contest. The poem was chosen for publication. I have written articles for the Winston-Salem Frugal Living Examiner and Hub Pages. In 2012, I acquired The Wilkes Gazette digital newspaper that was renamed the Wilkes County Gazette in 2014. I write under both my own name and my pen name, Jeanne Armonk.
Pet Adoption