Translate

Search This Blog

Friday, December 31, 2010

A New Year With New Opportunities

Here we are with a new year with new opportunities.  Why do we not all take a moment or two.  Okay, okay.  Let's take an hour or two to reflect on our accomplishments this past year. 

As for me as Jeanne Armonk, this has been a very rewarding year with my columns for The Wilkes Gazette.  My columns which are three per issue, cover a broad section of interest for those in Wilkes County and surrounding areas.

Jeanne's Travels which is written in conjunction with my dog Red, highlights many travel locations in the area.  These locations often are pet-friendly.  That is to say, places where the family pet may accompany its family.  Here in Wilkes County, we have a wonderful dog park named Hidden Oaks Dog Park.  This park provides year round fun and socializing for residents and canines to hang out together. 

The park is well-kept and provides ample room for dogs of all shapes and sizes.  Red and I stay either on the outside or in the over 25 lbs side.  We like to amble along a dirt path which follows Cub Creek.  We can cross a bridge and go over to a walking path through the wooded areas.  There are both benches and picnic tables for those wanting to spend some time there.

I also write Living on a Budget.  I have endeavored to cover many diverse topics where the community may find bargains and stretch their dollars.  From the library to the thrift shops to restaurants to department stores and home improvement stores, many bargains can be found.  If free items or samples or classes are offered, then I write about the ones I learn about for the column.  Bargains change continually.

On the subject of restaurants, I also write the Weekly Restaurant Review.  No I am not a bona fide critic, however, for nearly 50 years I have been eating out in restaurants from Cape Cod in Massachusetts to the San Francisco Bay down to Hollywood and many places in between.  I grew up just outside Manhattan and I had the privilege to eat in the city many times.  Now, I go to affordable places and critic for average folk looking for a good meal at a good value.

My editor has been very generous as to my freedom in choosing weekly topics, attractions and restaurants.  This opportunity has afforded me a flexible schedule as well as the chance to hone my writing skills.  I believe there is always room for improvements.  For the new year of 2011, I plan to finish that novel of mine.  Also, I plan to pay more attention to health and fitness.  I believe this new year will afford more opportunity for even greater accomplishments.  I plan to spend time on Saturday the 1st both reflecting on this past year's accomplishments and planning for new ones in 2011.  Let us all see what we can get accomplished this new year of opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

My photo
Wilkesboro, NC, United States
My interest with writing began by composing poems about nature in my childhood. I also co-wrote a play in my 4th grade class when I lived in New Rochelle, NY. It generated enough positive feedback that my class put on the play in the school auditorium. I was fortunate to have a lead part. After my high school graduation, I entered the working world. For over 30 years I have been steadily gaining writing, editing and digital publishing skills. I began by composing letters and emails to company clients. I contributed to articles written for The Commuters Register based in Windsor, CT. Since 2009, I have added social media, digital publishing and blogging here in Wilkesboro, NC. Since 2010, I write ad copy for the listing descriptions for each of my 3 Internet shops open at Etsy.com. In 2012, I entered a poem about my dog Red in the World Poetry Contest. The poem was chosen for publication. I have written articles for the Winston-Salem Frugal Living Examiner and Hub Pages. In 2012, I acquired The Wilkes Gazette digital newspaper that was renamed the Wilkes County Gazette in 2014. I write under both my own name and my pen name, Jeanne Armonk.
Pet Adoption