Translate

Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

8 Days and Counting

There are just 8 more days until the butterflies from homework assignments and tests return to my 55 year old stomach.  I decided back in March to return to college to complete an Associate Degree in Applied Science for Advertising and Graphic Design.

I went to one semester in the fall of 1979 at SUNY Purchase after I graduated from Byram Hills High School in Arnonk, NY.  This school has such illustrated alumni as Laura Branigan, Peter Gallagher, Bryce Dallas Howard and Jim Henson's children.

I had study overload when I was 18 and decided to drop out of college.  I entered the workforce as a bank teller making $141 per week.  I was still living at home and I bought my first car.  I learned a lot about customer service skills and people skills.  There is something maturing when graciously assisting customers at holiday time and the bank vault cash is down to ones and fives.

Now, my field is expanded to my media and publishing skills.  I have published several flyers to assist small businesses with revenue and growth.  I began the publication, Wilkes County Gazette Shopper in 2015.  This year, I have published 2 issues with another issue due out in June.

This has been a great foundation for advertising sales and design.  I am not very technical savvy and I decided going to the local community college would be a great investment in my time.

I have learned about Pell Grants and Stafford Loans at the local financial aid department.  I have operated my publishing business almost as a non-profit so I found I was eligible for the aid.

I will post again as the enrollment day is ever closer.  The butterflies are already swarming.

Until next time,


Jeanne

2 comments:

Popular Posts

My photo
Wilkesboro, NC, United States
My interest with writing began by composing poems about nature in my childhood. I also co-wrote a play in my 4th grade class when I lived in New Rochelle, NY. It generated enough positive feedback that my class put on the play in the school auditorium. I was fortunate to have a lead part. After my high school graduation, I entered the working world. For over 30 years I have been steadily gaining writing, editing and digital publishing skills. I began by composing letters and emails to company clients. I contributed to articles written for The Commuters Register based in Windsor, CT. Since 2009, I have added social media, digital publishing and blogging here in Wilkesboro, NC. Since 2010, I write ad copy for the listing descriptions for each of my 3 Internet shops open at Etsy.com. In 2012, I entered a poem about my dog Red in the World Poetry Contest. The poem was chosen for publication. I have written articles for the Winston-Salem Frugal Living Examiner and Hub Pages. In 2012, I acquired The Wilkes Gazette digital newspaper that was renamed the Wilkes County Gazette in 2014. I write under both my own name and my pen name, Jeanne Armonk.
Pet Adoption